Alabama PRSA Job Center
Our members can explore job postings through this comprehensive online career center. We welcome employers to connect with the state’s top public relations practitioners by sharing career opportunities through this Alabama PRSA career center. Email job postings for consideration to our leadership team.
YWCA - Communications Specialist
The Communications Specialist is responsible for assisting with the successful implementation of all YWCA fund communications strategies and activities
- Assist Director of Communications with all communications efforts
- Manage and coordinate all social media for the YWCA Central Alabama including Facebook pages, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest
- Write and post weekly stories for website
- Serve as in-house photographer.
- Assist special events team with material preparation, committee minutes and overall support for special event committees including KIDS Korner Committees, Purse & Passion Committees, Walk A Mile Committees and the Junior Board as needed
- Assist in editing and ordering all organizational communications pieces, including newsletters, annual report, event programs and other communications, providing specific attention to donor information as needed
- Conduct tours and speeches as needed
- In conjunction with social justice department, manage YW blog, ensuring timely and relevant posts as needed
- All other duties deemed necessary for the team and YWCA
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Ability to work under pressure with multiple tasks and priorities.
- Ability to work independently and with teams as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or related field
- Two years relevant experience
- Must have good communications skills, be detail oriented, be able to handle multiple projects
- Able to work independently and as a contributing team member
- Driving record acceptable to insurance carrier
- Requires the physical mobility to sit and walk for moderate periods of time.
- Requires the physical ability to occasionally carry or lift objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
Trilix - Communications Specialist
Trilix is seeking a talented communications specialist with 3–7 years of experience to create and maintain a strong online and market presence for agency clients. This person will work independently from our new office in Birmingham, Alabama, but will work closely with a larger team in our Des Moines, Iowa, office.
The communications specialist will implement marketing and PR strategies through social media, media relations and content development to develop, grow and support brand awareness and audience engagement. The person selected for this position will need to be proficient in creating social media strategies and plans, using all social media channels and implementing social media advertising campaigns across all platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube and Snapchat. A strong background in social media analytics is preferred.
The ideal candidate will have strong digital, writing and proofreading skills, be a self-starter, and be able to work independently and meet tight client-driven deadlines. Preference will be given to candidates who have experience writing proposals, pitching new business and managing projects and clients.
In addition to client and social media management, advertising and analytics responsibilities, other duties may include:
- Proposal writing and new business pitches
- Research and analytics
- Website copywriting
- Press release writing and media outreach
- Blog, newsletter and other marketing material writing
- Event planning and attendance
- Other public relations and communications tasks as needed
Design and photography skills are preferable but not required.
To be considered for this position, please send your resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 23.
Brasfield & Gorrie - Communications Coordinator
The Communications Coordinator performs a wide variety of professional-level communications and public relations functions. This position requires knowledge of public relations, writing and editing to support Brasfield & Gorrie’s purpose and mission. As a member of the Corporate Communications team, the Coordinator helps develop and execute the company's internal and external communications plans. This person must have outstanding writing skills, a strong grasp of grammar and style guidelines, strong creativity, and excellent time management skills. This position also collaborates with others in the organization to achieve brand consistency, coordination of messages, and the highest standards for corporate communications.
- Support management of media relations, write and edit press releases, and submit for approval
- Coordinate interviews and respond to media inquiries
- Support management of online media monitoring system and produce monthly summary reports
- Support execution of crisis communication plan
- Maintain and update media and key contacts database
- Maintain and update media contact lists
- Assist with submissions for company-wide and individual award nominations
- Maintain archives for media materials, such as press releases, advisories, clippings, photos, etc.
- Coordinate and track internal requests for corporate advertising
- Develop fresh and engaging advertising copy
- Work with graphic designers and internal stakeholders to produce advertisements
- Support management of the company’s social media platforms, reviewing social media copy and contributing to efforts to maintain a fresh presence on sites such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Support development of thought leadership content for corporate blog and intranet
- Support management of content on corporate website
- Develop content for monthly employee newsletter
- Post monthly e-newsletter articles, press releases, and thought leadership articles on intranet
- Support development of corporate reports
- Write and edit a variety of Marketing copy, including employee biographies, project descriptions, and proposal letters
- Assist in making updates to current Marketing boilerplate
- Assist with special projects
- Perform other tasks as assigned
- Education - Skills - Knowledge - Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum of 4-7 years of corporate communications, journalism, or public relations experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in English/journalism, public relations, or a related business field required
- Familiarity with Windows operating systems, HTML, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Powerpoint, Adobe InDesign
- Experience with media relations and advertising
- Familiarity with media monitoring systems, such as Meltwater
- Familiarity with project management systems, such as Trello
- Outstanding writing and editing skills, with knowledge of AP style and grammar and punction guidelines
- Strong project management and time management skills
- Ability to research, analyze and synthesize information
- Ability to handle simultaneous projects and meet tight deadlines
Travel may be required
The above description covers the principal duties and responsibilities of the job. The description shall not, however, be construed as a complete listing of all miscellaneous, incidental, or similar duties which may be required from day-to-day. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Samford University - Media Relations Manager
The Media Relations Manager will be a strategic thinker with exceptional written, verbal and visual communication skills and the ability to work effectively and simultaneously in multiple forms of communication including print, web, social media and multimedia. The position requires a solid understanding of the principles of public relations and will be an integral member of the campus community, working collaboratively with campus partners to ensure that strategic communication goals are achieved.
- Collaborate with colleagues throughout the Division of Marketing and Communication to provide leadership on all matters related to university communication and media relations.
- Ensure brand integrity by monitoring university communication to ensure that it meets high standards of quality in content and appearance; assist with copyediting as needed.
- Manage the content and production of Belltower, the university’s weekly e-news publication (delivered to more than 42,400 employees, students, alumni and friends of the university).
- Serve as the primary media contact for the university. Manage all media activities, including building relationships with local, regional and national media; pitching stories and in-house experts; coordinating responses to breaking news; coordinating interview requests; and proactively seeking opportunities for earned media.
- Advance the university's local, regional and national visibility. Develop proactive strategies for promoting the university’s academic programs, public service activities, and faculty and student scholarship and accomplishments. Collaborate with marketing and communication colleagues to demonstrate the impact and value of the university to diverse audiences through a broad spectrum of media.
- Conduct regular assessments of ongoing work at the university-level and in individual units to identify media opportunities. Ensure appropriate coverage for faculty and student accomplishments and identify opportunities to proactively position faculty and staff as experts in the media.
- Research, plan, write and pitch inspiring, informative, engaging and audience-relevant content for print and digital. Ensure content is adaptable for use in additional channels.
- Establish and oversee the process for hometown news releases highlighting student achievements using Merit/Read Media or similar software. Implement a process for collaborating with colleagues around campus to solicit regular student news and accolades for publishing.
- Collaborate with marketing and communication colleagues to maintain media experts lists and to provide media training for faculty and staff as needed.
- Using appropriate technologies, continuously monitor all media (print, digital, television and radio) for breaking news and mentions of Samford University programs or personnel. Quickly advise leadership of significant breaking news and position faculty/staff to comment when appropriate.
- Coordinate with the university social media manager to provide routine backup for social media monitoring.
- Identify opportunities, challenges and emerging communications issues facing the organization. Monitor higher education publications and media outlets that are important to the mission of the university and inform key colleagues of relevant stories.
- Regularly report on the effectiveness of media relations activities. Provide monthly and quarterly reports that summarize and quantify Samford media coverage in local, national and international outlets. Use dashboard analytics to measure and report the effectiveness of content through engagement and conversions.
- Serve as the Division of Marketing and Communication liaison with the Samford Crimson.
- Manage selection of, assignments to and other administrative duties related to freelance writers retained by the Division of Marketing and Communication for news and feature stories. Ensure adequate support for serving the needs of the university.
- Be a visible, dynamic and involved participant in the life of the university community. Develop familiarity with all areas of academic and student life.
- Exhibit a positive, service-oriented attitude in interactions with colleagues to fulfill communications needs effectively and efficiently campus-wide.
To apply for this job, your resume and/or cover letter must show that you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Mass Communication, Marketing or Public Relations
- A minimum of five years' progressively responsible experience in communication, marketing or public relations
- Professional accreditation in public relations is highly desirable
- Experience in higher education
- In order for your resume to be routed to the appropriate hiring manager, you must include the job number PUBL20 in the subject line of your email.
Submit a resume and cover letter with current salary/salary requirements to:
Office of Human Resources
800 Lakeshore Drive, Birmingham, AL 35229
Resumes received after the posting is removed will not be considered.
Samford University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Employer.