PRSA Alabama supports our nine PRSSA chapters through the following professional development resources:
Discounted access to PRSA events, socials and conferences
A sponsored mentor program with PRSA members
PR student scholarship award
Biennial student summit
Access to PRSA speakers, presenters, panelists or resume reviews
The state of Alabama is also fortunate to be the home of Betsy Plank, APR, Fellow PRSA, past PRSA president and pioneer in PR leadership. She endowed the unique Plank Center at her alma mater, The University of Alabama, as a resource to develop and support leadership in public relations education and practice.
Start a PRSSA Chapter
Alabama PRSA is proud to support these nine PRSSA chapters and encourages any university with a communications or public relations major to consider chartering a PRSSA chapter for their students.
Each PRSSA chapter is comprised of a faculty advisor from the school, a professional advisor provided by Alabama PRSA, and student officers. For more information on forming a student chapter, Click here.
Building your professional network is a powerful tool. Having one-to-one access to a seasoned PR practitioner is invaluable. That's why the Alabama PRSA chapter developed its mentor program. This program matches qualified junior and senior level college students with mentors for one school semester to provide career advice, job search tips, professional development resources and best practices.
- Complete a student enrollment form
- Be an active member in good standing of their university’s accredited PRSSA chapter
- Have junior or senior level credits in a public relations major
- Have a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 out of a 4.0
PRSA Member Mentor Requirements
- Complete a member application
- Be a member in good standing of PRSA
- Commit to guiding your student for one school semester
- Recommended but not required activities include: a resume review, a mock interview, and a job shadow day
- Submitted documents and qualifications of both students and mentors are evaluated to make the best match; based on when student enrollment forms are received, mentorships begin and end with the next, upcoming school semester
Annual Application Deadlines
- June 1 - for fall semester mentorship
- December 1 -for winter/spring mentorship
An annual $1,000 scholarship honors an outstanding public relations student within the state of Alabama who is a student participant in the PRSA Alabama Chapter Mentorship Program.
The award is presented annually every spring to a Mentor Program graduate.
- Have participated in the one-semester long Alabama PRSA Mentor Program
- Submit a letter of recommendation from their mentor
- Submit a resume
- Submit a complete scholarship application
- Be a member in good standing of his/her university PRSSA chapter
- Hold a 3.0 GPA or higher out of 4.0
- Be a junior or senior public relations major
- Submit an official transcript
Deadline: to be announced soon
If you have questions about the Alabama PRSA student scholarship, please contact our president.
Please email our communications chair with your internship opportunity to be published.
United Way of Central Alabama
Public Relations Internship
Contact: Samuetta Nesbitt, Sr. VP Public Relations
Phone: (205) 458-2050 www.uwca.org
Intern Title: PUBLIC RELATIONS INTERN
Supervisor: Samuetta Nesbitt, Senior VP Public Relations
Length/time of Position: Minimum of 1 semester (2 semesters preferred), Up to 28 hours per week. (Minimum of 20 hours)
Compensation: Unpaid, but you will be reimbursed for mileage incurred in the performance of duties related to projects
Summary: United Way of Central Alabama is working to improve community conditions by helping more local individuals and families become self-sufficient. Public relations play a key role in the organization’s continued growth and success.
A terrific opportunity to work with the largest nonprofit in the state, gain great experience from a stellar group of professionals and help work to improve lives in Central Alabama! Assist the Public Relations Department with writing and public relations tasks. Graduate student or mature undergraduate student with previous internship experience is preferred.
Examples of duties:
- Assistance with production of media releases
- Monitoring media hits
- Writing story content for social media website
- Some event planning execution
- Available for a minimum of one semester, 15-28 hours per week
- Outstanding written communication ability
- Fluent in Microsoft Office and Google productions
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite products
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong research skills and attention to detail
- Reliable transportation to and from United Way of Central Alabama, Inc.
Evaluations: Regular ongoing meetings. Written evaluations as required
Compensation: This is an unpaid internship experience. Course credit can be obtained as determined and approved by the student’s college/university. Mileage reimbursement given.
To Apply: Send a résumé and two or three writing examples to Samuetta Nesbitt at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Public Relations Internship (non-paid) Wilbron Inc. offers a unique and rewarding internship experience for public relations, communications, marketing and journalism college students. Through the public relations internship, students build their portfolios and gain valuable experience in the field through participation in featured projects including writing PR and marketing strategies; writing news releases and pitching the media; developing social media calendars, posting and monitoring; photo shoots and video production; event planning and much more. This internship is non-paid. College credit is available, but not required for participation.